I don't think weekends are good for me.
It wasn't a bad day, really. I went out in the frigid cold on a dogged reconnaissance mission, to identify the source of the black smoke that's been wafting past my windows for the last week. It wasn't easy, but after about half an hour, with the help of my cell phone camera and Google Maps, I finally got the address of the building and made a complaint to the city EPA. I also got on the bus to the Bronx and went to the new mall (first time on the bus, though not to the mall), and found a new quilt exactly like I've been looking for (solid ivory, with stitching in a geometric pattern), at Marshall's, for only $30. And I talked to my goddaughter on the phone for the first time (she's two, and lives in England), and she counted to ten for me. She left out five, but what the hell, she's two. It put a smile on my face for the whole day.
However, with the exception of that one phone call and talking to the EPA, I don't think I said a word to another human being all day.
Plus my eyes hurt and my throat tastes like a swimming pool, which is generally the first sign of a nasty cold on the way.
Plus I've just spent the past four hours watching The Office on DVD. Which, though hysterically funny, is also close enough to truth to be a little depressing.
I'm actually really looking forward to going to work on Monday. This is how small my life has become. I know it's up to me to start enlarging it again, but I don't seem to be doing such a great job just yet.
Little by little by little. Sigh.
Saturday, January 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I've had so many times where I have felt like this. Like I could go a whole weekend without speaking to anyone and the only human contact I ever got was at work. I'm sorry. I wish I had something I could do to help. I'd give you my phone number if you want :).
ReplyDeleteI hope you don't get sick. It truly sucks being sick as I was reminded over Christmas.
Hugs to you.
My life can feel pretty small at times, too. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteNext time you are feeling alone, I'd be happy to call and talk. I'm a great listener and an even better talker. Quiet Dreams can testify to that.
ReplyDeleteUm, hi. You SO could have come with us yesterday on our "magical adventure" to the South Street Seaport. I had both of the cherubs solo all day, and would have LOVED some adult conversation.
ReplyDeleteDab Nab it! Let's coordinate next time, mkay? :)
xo
Yep...I've been there so many times myself. Weekends can be very lonely esp. during the winter. Keep looking for light...It has to come back one of these days.
ReplyDelete