Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Scarlet A

I have literally started this post seven or eight times. It needs to be written, but I don't really know how to do it. So I suppose I just need to plunge in.

I grew up in a conservative Christian home. I did my fifth-grade Government essay on why abortion is wrong, and wore a little red Right to Life rose on the collar of my figure skating costume. As I got older I began to know friends - good friends - who chose to have abortions, and while I would never have made the same choice, I found that I could understand their position. In the end I decided that those who believe fetuses are babies should refuse to abort them, and (within limits) have the right to try to convince women to choose other alternatives, but that government has no business legislating the issue. I, of course, would never have an abortion, but I believed in the right of others to choose to do so.

Then I found myself 12 weeks pregnant with twins - a deliberate, longed-for pregnancy. And one of my twins had Down's Syndrome. And the other was chromosomally normal but had something going very wrong with her development.

I have always supported the idea that people with Down's and other disabilities should be accepted and loved for who they are. But I also knew that as a single mom with no siblings, there was no way I could give a Down's child what he needed, either while he was growing up or when he was grown and I was gone. The thought of him struggling with heart problems, leukemia, and the other problems that often go with Down's, then having me die and him not understand why mommy had left him, broke my heart. I admire and respect people who raise Down's children. I just couldn't do it - for my sake or for his.

The other twin had a fluid-filled sac on the back of her neck, which was divided into several different segments. Some fluid there is normal - up to 2mm - but she had four times that much, and it was increasing rapidly. And the segmentation was most definitely not normal. The doctors weren't sure what was wrong, but the most likely candidates were a major heart defect or a genetic syndrome. If she survived to be born, she might need multiple open-heart surgeries in her first year, which she might not live through. Or she might be disabled - much more disabled than a Down's child.

And so I made an awful decision. A decision I could never, ever have imagined making, but the only decision that made any sense at all at the time. I paid two thousand dollars to have these two beings, whom I already loved, euthanized quietly, with a needle in my womb. And then I had a D&C.

I have cried more tears over this decision than I can even begin to describe. It has changed me deeply, fundamentally. I will never get over it. And yet, faced with the same situation, I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing again. Which may make me a bad person. It certainly makes me a conflicted one.

The thing I regret more than anything is not having waited a little longer to see for sure what was happening with Twin B. There was a tiny chance - 5%-25%, they said - that she would actually have been OK. But I was too terrified of a late-term termination, of feeling her move inside me and then losing her, of having my milk come in when it was all over. I let fear rush me. And so I'll always wonder.

I think a lot these days about how someone lives with having made a wrong choice because of cowardice. What about a soldier who, caught up in the fear and rage of battle, kills an innocent civilian? What do you do with that once you come home? How do you forgive yourself? Or can you?

I still support a woman's right to choose, perhaps more strongly than I ever did. But going through what I did has made me extremely concerned about the carelessness with which some women conceive and abort. I'm fighting for the right to make a terrible choice, as a last resort in a terrible situation. I'm not fighting to protect the right of someone to have four or five or six abortions, because she couldn't be bothered to use birth control. Yes, that's judgmental. And I realize there's no way to legislate the difference. It's just how I feel.

So there it is. I may get flamed from both sides of this issue, but I felt I had to express the truth of what happened to me. Women don't usually talk about terminations unless they're rabidly for or against them. And that's unfortunate, because I think the vast majority of us have a different experience - one that isn't black and white, one that isn't easy. So we end up feeling very alone and isolated.

At Christmas I was sitting in the family room with part of my very large, very conservative family, when one of my cousins launched into a vitriolic anti-abortion rant. Only a few of my forty-some extended family members know I'm trying to get pregnant, and none of them know what really happened with my "loss." So here I was in this supposedly loving Christian environment, under personal attack by someone who had no idea what I had been through, who never even considered that I might be one of those people he was ranting against. It was one of the loneliest experiences of my life. I got up and left the room.

I ended up sitting in the bathroom for a very long time, staring at the soap dish and wondering, as I often do these days, if I even deserve to be a mother.

12 comments:

  1. well you certainly deserve to be a mother, that's for damn sure.

    I think what you dd was a loving act to the lives that could not be.

    very loving.

    Hopefully, in time, you can be loving with yourself, too.

    {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with shelli - you certainly deserve to be a mother.

    Having to make a decision that goes against your values and beliefs doesn't make you a bad person. On the contrary, one that can look again and rethink her truths. And as I see it - that is a better kind of person.
    Yes, there will probably always be 'what ifs', on every corner of our road. But I believe you made the right decision. It wasn't an easy one and you didn't take it light hearted, and for sure you were not a coward making that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU most certainly DO deserve to be a mother. This decision wasn't one that you came to quickly or painlessly...be kind to yourself in the same way you would be kind to anyone else telling this story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My words will sound trite, but I wish I could take this pain away. You have been through so much...and I hope in time you will stop punishing yourself for it.

    I don't know anyone who deserves to be a mother more than you. And I will be so overjoyed for you when it happens.

    You have a lot of guts, kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good, deserving mother does what's best for her child even if it may hurt her. You made a decision that you felt was in the best interest of your children. A decision I probably would have made too if I were in your shoes. You definitely deserve motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for the lonliness you felt. And yes, you most definitely do deserve to be a mother. I too was raised in a very religious home that was very anti abortion. I used to be very anti abortion and would loudly state this to anyone who would listen. I remember once in my 20s saying something to my best friend along those lines and being so surprised when she stated she was pro choice. Years later I found out that she had an abortion when she was younger that she never told me about even though we were best friends. Needless to say I felt pretty badly about that. I do agree that abortion is a crappy form of birth control and feel a little sad when I hear of it being used as such. However like you I think it's hard to legislate laws on when abortion is ok. I also think that a person can never know what they would do until they are in that position. You made the best choice you possibly could have in your situation at that time. Second guessing it now while possibly human nature doesn't change that it was the best choice for YOU then. I'm sorry your family could never see the shades of gray that are involved in any situation. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No question about whether you deserve to be a mother. You made decisions for your daughters as a mother. With much love for them. No matter how much it tore you apart.

    So sorry about the rant from your cousin. It's so hard when people see this as a black/white issue. It's part of what leads the silent majority to be silent.

    I'm so glad you wrote this post. I wish more women would share these kinds of experiences. We can't support each other if we suffer in silence.

    P.S. Drinks/dinner this week?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so easy to judge when one hasn't been there. I'm sorry your cousin's rant cut too close to home.

    You made the choice that was best for you and your little ones. Please don't be so hard on yourself.

    I hope time helps to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, everyone, for being so kind. Your support and warm words mean more than I can even begin to say. This is a hard road, and I don't know what I'd do without all of you to travel it with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Princess - I'm just seeing your blog for the first time. You just found "my" site...it's not mine, I just Administer to it, but you are welcome there with open arms. (((Hug))) - "A Heartbreaking Choice" the club that no woman ever wants to be a member of, yet here we are - members, and then some. I too chose to end my much wanted and much waited for pg due to T-21 with heart and digestive disorders. You can also read more about my story and 45 other women that have made this choice at the website for our book "Our Heartbreaking Choices" http://www.ourheartbreakingchoices.com I am Ayliea, and I am the Admin for the AHC site and discussion board. I am so sorry to have a reason to welcome you, but welcome you are!

    Much love and much Hope - I am still trying for my first living child too! Infertility sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having lived through having as baby with severe disabilities and then losing her at six months...

    Honestly what we went through during her lifetime was excruciating. Living moment to moment on a knife's edge, never knowing where we would end up and only knowing how devastatingly hard it was going to be... It was just awful. We loved that little girl so much, but we'd have spared her this pain in hindsight. Had we known what we were facing before she was born...

    I think your guilt is normal. You had a choice between terrible and horrible. Both options are brave and both options suck terribly.

    I am now pregnant again and facing my second scan. I have thought long and hard about what I would do if they 'found' anything wrong. Honestly, I don't think I would cope with what we went through last time. I would probably make the same decision you did.

    I'm so sorry for your loss. So sorry you were forced to make this decision. I listen to others rant about abortion and I think, 'you have no idea what you're talking about'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heavy sigh.

    I am so sorry. I can relate.

    My first baby had anencephaly and I couldn't go through with a term pregnancy, only to have my baby die.
    g

    ReplyDelete