Friday, June 19, 2009

Marking the Day

Two years ago today I let my twins go. My son and my daughter.

I went to the cathedral today and lit two candles - one pink and one blue. They should burn all week. I don't pray these days, but it's nice to know the flames are burning, turning wax into carbon and sending it out into the air, even as I'm eating, sleeping, waking, working, blogging, resting.

When I lit the candles I cried, and all I could think of to say, over and over again, was "I'm sorry."

And I am. If I had it to do all over again I'd wait longer, but in the end I don't think I'd end up with a difference choice. But I'm still sorry. Sorry for not being able to give them a chance. Sorry for hurting them. Sorry they can't be with me. Sorry I can't hold them. Sorry for myself, for losing the only genetic children I'll ever have.

Just sorry.

19 comments:

  1. And *I* am so, so sorry for your losses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. What a hard day. Hugs to you and sending peaceful thoughts to you and warm wishes to your babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey, I am so sorry. I've read all you've written about this and I think you are right about there being no other choice but that doesn't stop the grief. {{{Hugs}}} and prayers from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an impossibly hard day for you. I am so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry too. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry, hon. I can only imagine the pain you are feeling. Keeping you and your twins in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so, so sorry. I hope you find some peace. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here from LFCA, so sorry for your loss on your much wanted, loved babies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what, whenever you have to make these choices, you do so knowing that there aren't good choices to make in these places. And I think we all wonder, just a bit, what if I had done things differently.

    I'm sorry.
    (lost and found)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry. ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for the loss of your babies. My heart aches for you -- I know the pain all too well because I had to terminate my much wanted IVF pregnancy too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you today and hoping you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry. You aren't the only one who terminated a much wanted pregnancy. I too have been grieving my chance at having my own genetic children. I second guess myself, but in the end, I felt like it was totally out of my control. Nobody or nothing was going to help. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Mrs. Spit said it most eloquently - sometimes there are no good choices to be made. I went for a CVS recently and found out I miscarried 4 weeks before. However, I can't say I would have done differently had I been given news like yours. God bless.

    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending belated hugs to you and hoping that the burden gets a little lighter every day.

    ReplyDelete