OK. This is almost getting funny.
I've now been passed over for a promotion at work. Out of three people on my team who were "on the list" I'm the only one to get dissed. Went to our division Christmas party the other night and it turned into a promotion-fest, with all of the new promotes brought up in front of everyone and made to do something exhibitionist (sing, dance, whatever). I got stuck behind the head of the division, three feet from the action - couldn't leave without making a scene, had to just smile and laugh and pretend to be having a grand old time. It was exactly - EXACTLY - like being at a freaking baby shower. Thank God after about twenty minutes there was a lull and I managed to escape.
Just for the record, it's a big company and there are always more qualified people than there are slots. What happened is that I'm an internal consultant, and I'm the only one in my group whose "client" is in another division. So even though my client loves me, all the way up to the head of that division, the key people in *my* division really don't know me. And my boss - and his boss - weren't in the room in the final meeting, so when push came to shove I had nobody at the table to fight for me.
In any case, I'm assured by people I trust that it's not a black mark on my record, and doesn't set me up as a target for the next layoff. It's just that I got majorly fucked over. So now I have a whole year to play corporate chess and make sure it doesn't happen again. Except for the fact that if things work out, I'll be on maternity leave at promotion time next year, which would pretty much take me out of the running once again.
Honestly, how much shit can hit this fan before the fan actually breaks? As far as I'm concerned, 2009 can hit itself in the ass with the door on its way out.
P.S. Don't worry, I'm pissed but I do see the humor in it all. Rolling my eyes, going to get a spa pedicure today and heading off on vacation tomorrow. What the hell ever.
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well, damn that sucks! Want me to come kick some asses for you?
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on 2009. Hasn't been the best year ever.
ReplyDeleteBon voyage - hope the pedicure looks fantastic. Sorry 2009 sucked so much. I'm sure being passed over for no good reason was the icing on the cake. May 2010 bring better things in many areas of your life!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for the corporate fuckery.
ReplyDeleteI, also, am happy to see 2009 bid its farewell.