It's all over except for the beta. 14dpo, no line, and the pre-AF spotting started today. No surprise, really; I've known for over a week.
I think I'm coming up to an important turning point, because for the first time ever, I'm not sure I really want to try again. Usually after a negative I get all determined and scrappy, and put my fists up for the next round. This time I just feel tired. The thought of scraping together the meds, sticking myself every night, getting up early and going to the clinic every morning - it's just too much.
I have a lot of feelings about "giving up." One of the biggest problems I have is the sense that it'll just be one more way in which I'm not a real woman. And there are already so many ways. You all know I'm single. Well, here's confessional time. I didn't date until I was in my late 20's, didn't have sex until my mid-30's, and since that partner I've fooled around a bit but not often and not "all the way." Of course there are many reasons for this, starting way back when I was very young. And it's insanely embarrassing for me to admit (although the fact that I can admit it at all is a testament to how much therapy I've had in my life). But my point is that already for me sex, while not entirely out of my grasp, is not the same as for other women.
So I'm not a real woman in that I don't have a partner, don't share my life with anyone, don't have someone who loves me more than anyone in the world. Sex is not a regular part of my life. I am weird. And now if I can't get pregnant, and don't ever give birth, I will be that much different from other women. I won't go through that rite of passage, won't be able to know what it feels like to have a baby kick inside me, won't have the incredibly empowering, life-changing experience of giving birth, won't be part of the circle of life, the sisterhood, whatever. I just feel like I'm always the strange one, on the outside looking in.
I'm also struggling with feeling really, really old. In absolute terms I know I'm not, but the fact of the matter is that I am too old to have a child. I have always, through all my struggles, been able to hang on to the thought that other people have managed to pull their lives together and I can too - it's not too late. Well, now it is too late. Truly. And there's nothing I can do about it. So I am keenly aware of time having passed me by.
In French they use the same word for "failing" an exam and "missing" a train or bus. It's also used to describe a life, as in "he failed/missed his life." So that's the feeling I'm having now that I stare failure in the face.
J'ai raté ma vie. Or rather: Je me suis ratée la vie.*
*If you know French you'll understand the difference here; it has to do with me being the one who's responsible for what happened, as in "I did it to myself."
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

{{{Hugs}}}
ReplyDeleteDamn! I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteHon, regardless of how you're feeling about your life, you absolutely are part of THIS sisterhood. Be gentle with yourself. xoxo
I am so with you. So.
ReplyDelete~hugs~
I feel your pain as I read. We have a lot in common. I'll be thinking of you as always.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI don't think you are weird.
I agree with Dora - be nice to you... You deserve it.
but honey, what the fuck IS a real woman? I've never been pregnant, and neither has Narda. STOP THIS SHIT now, seriously. I'm gonna have to go over there and smack you. And then give you a hug, and a glass of wine.
ReplyDeleteYou ARE a real woman, and a damn fine one, too.
I sooo know how you feel, especially the stuff about getting older. I try to remind myself that our self images are often distorted. A few years ago I thought I needed to lose some weight, but looking back now, I realize that I was fit and thin!
ReplyDeleteJust a lame example to show that we aren't old and life hasn't past us by. And if we don't fit in with the sisterhood, well then we'll just create our own sisterhood. But I really think the sisterhood is wide enough to accept us. Getting pg and giving birth alone doesn't make you a mother. I've never done either, but I was definitely someone's mother, even though it was short lived.
Hugs to you. I hope the right path for you reveals itself.
Oh honey, I'm so so sorry. I have felt so many of the things your feeling. Right down to not being sure if I want to continue trying. You are NOT a failure. You are part of the sisterhood. No matter what your life experiences are. Hang in there and hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. And I understand. Sending hugs your way.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your support. I think he found the blog; I'll set up a new one when I get a moment to breathe. I am safe and ok.
ReplyDeleteawake in the world
"You ARE a real woman, and a damn fine one, too"
ReplyDeleteDitto! You should NEVER let your uterus define you as a woman - your have worth as the person that you are. There are MANY fine, wonderful, loving women in the world that don't have children. It doesn't make them any less of a woman because they don't have or can't have a child.
You are one - and hopefully, so am I.
Sending you much love and support (((Hugs)))
Ayliea
http://www.ourheartbreakingchoices.com