Thursday, February 12, 2009

Implant vs. Transfer - A Call to Action!

OK, so I am on a crusade. This whole octuplets mom thing has me frothing at the mouth about many things, not least of which is the insistence of the media on using "implant" to refer to transfers.

I actually have a good friend who works at one of the major news services, and I asked her to bring this up to their health editor. Turns out the health editor is not concerned. She thinks the terms are interchangeable, especially since Nadya Suleman's doctor has this special procedure that "implants" the embryos into the uterine lining. If you ask me, the real issue here is that journalists like their synonyms. God forbid you should have to say "transfer" twice in the same paragraph.

Anyway, my friend has done what she can, over the aspect of the news she can control, but the health editor remains unconvinced. I wrote a comment to another news service and have received no response, so my guess is they also think it is a non-issue. And the New York Times, as Mel points out in today's LFCA, is as guilty as anyone.

So I added the following comment to the New York Times article:
1. Please, please stop saying that doctors "implant" embryos during an IVF. They are TRANSFERRED, and then may or may not implant (a biological process). This is not just semantics - it's misleading. So many people seem to believe that putting an embryo back makes a woman pregnant, and this is just not the case.

2. There are no baby stores in this world. Adoption is a very long, difficult and expensive road. It is also a wonderful way to build a family. So wonderful, in fact, I'm quite puzzled why everyone seems to expect infertiles to do all the adopting. If you're really concerned about the needy children of the world, put your money where your mouth is and adopt one - or two - even if you don't "have" to. And in the meantime, please stop telling infertile people to "just adopt." Many of us have. Many of us will. But there's no "just" about it.
And here's what I wrote to the news service:
"The recent hullabaloo over the octuplets mom has resulted in a deluge of news stories using incorrect terminology as regards IVF. This is not just irritating - it does a great disservice to the public who have many misconceptions about IVF, how it works and how much of a "sure thing" it is.

Please, please stop saying that doctors "implant" embryos into a woman's uterus during IVF. Oh, that this were possible! In fact, doctors TRANSFER embryos to the uterus, where they may or (more usually) may not implant. The transfer procedure consists simply of sending the embryos, plus a small amount of fluid, into the uterus. IF the embryos are viable, IF the woman's uterine lining is receptive, IF no other factors interfere, the embryos MAY implant, at which time they have the chance to become a viable pregnancy."
So please, join in! I encourage you to write to all the news media who are being so careless with their words. Because WORDS MEAN THINGS, as Wittish says on IVFC, and unless people start understanding the reality of IVF there is a real danger of backlash based on fear and ignorance.

Write all of these news sources and tell them to get their facts straight! (But be nice - we'll get better results that way ;) :
Peace out.

9 comments:

  1. I hear you on the adoption thing, and also on the incorrect terminology. People just don't get it.

    And you know what? I have a friend who is adopting as an SMC-wannabe, and everyone keeps asking her, "Why don't you just go out and buy sperm and get pregnant?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with everything you've said.

    If only doctors could implant embryos. We'd pay more and worship them as Gods. Of course, it would cut into their repeat business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse the language, but I read through the NYT comments and I fucking LOVED that one! So glad you wrote it, thank you so very much.

    Have no time today, but will start writing some folks tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! I'll be writing people too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. I like the adoption part too. I did actually see an article from the LA Times that said transferred but then later said implated. Ugg. Oh and another thought. This doc was offering special procedures that help implant the embryos. Yeah right. Obviously this wasn't so successful since this doctors stats are the worst I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard a guy on a news show say the other day that people going through IVF pick the blonde blue eyed embryos and throw the rest away. If only it were that easy and fool proof. People are idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. found you through cyclesista.
    I love your notes to media people, you've said it all so eloquently. Some days I want the word "just" to be outlawed from being in the same sentence as "adopt"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said!!!

    In terms of getting through to the media, as a former journalist, I can tell you the best way to go is to write to the copy editing department. They are not deluged with the same amount of mail as the rest of editorial and they are exactly the kind of sticklers who will not sleep at night once they learn they have been using incorrect terminology. If there's any kind of official source you can cite, all the better. Once it's in the copy manuals of the major news outlets (and magazines), the mistakes will stop.

    glad to read you!

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you had a link to your comment on your blog. I had seen your comment the other night on the same article I had seen a comment from someone from NYT and couldn't find it again. I have now found it and posted a post on my blog. I'm so tired of all the misinformation.

    ReplyDelete