Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Testing 1-2-3

So my cervix is "as easy as they come" for a transfer, and both my tubes are open. Phew. They also took blood for a karyotype, to make sure I don't have anything odd about my chromosomes - should have results of that in a couple of weeks. And it looks like I have to go in again next week to repeat the sed rate - mine was elevated, which indicates some type of inflammation. It was probably the damn cold I've had since Thanksgiving, but they want to recheck it just to make sure.

The HSG was a bit traumatic, though not for the usual reasons. I had called last week to request a prescription for Valium - which I had already discussed with the RE - since the last time there was some question about whether my "blocked" left tube had just cramped up during the test. Long story short, after multiple back and forth calls over several days, I ended up on Monday night with no prescription. You wouldn't think this would be such a big deal, but somehow it put me over the edge - it took an Ativan and a very large number of meringue cookies to calm me down. But the next morning the assistant called me, very apologetic, and arranged for me to pick up a prescription for Percoset instead, which the RE preferred.

Wow, Percoset. That is some serious stuff. About half an hour after I took it I was sitting on the exam table in x-ray and they handed me a form to sign. I honest to God couldn't remember how to sign my name for a minute. It took me three tries! I mean, I knew what I wanted to write, but somehow my hand couldn't figure out what to do.

Anyway, the HSG hurt like hell - I remember telling him it did, although because of the Percoset I don't really remember exactly how it felt. But both tubes are now open, so if I get downgraded to an IUI at least I know the sperm have a fighting chance.

The best part was that after it was over, I went home and slept all day.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry the HSG hurt evan though you took Percodan (which sounds really strong).

    And glad to hear that now your tubes are open!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odd that they gave you percoset instead of Valium. They are two totally different types of medications. Glad it helped anyways. As far as the sed rate goes unless it was hugely elevated it shouldn't be a big deal. It's not the best test for accuracy of inflammation as it can rise and stay up for a long time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh that evil HSG test. I totally can relate - I just had my second HSG on Monday. Glad it's over - for both of us!

    ReplyDelete