Friday, January 16, 2009

Fat Chance?

So now that I'm in the nothing-to-do stage of this process, at least until late January, I've been thinking. Which, for me, typically equates to worrying.

And today I've been worrying whether I'm too fat to get pregnant. When I got pregnant with my twins I weighed a good 20 pounds less than I do now. Could the extra weight be why I've only gotten BFNs since then? And if so, am I doomed to fail any IVF I pay through the nose to do? Maybe I should postpone until I can lose some weight? But losing 20 pounds, for me, would mean waiting almost a year, which would probably be even worse.

Can a 42-year-old woman with a BMI of 29 possibly get pregnant?

Agh.

2 comments:

  1. As someone who has wondered this same thing many times (with a higher BMI) I understand what you are saying. However I have seen women get pregnant with a higher BMI. And do great. My understanding (and I don't profess to know everything there is to know) is that most of the infertility problems associated with being over weight are the failure to ovulate. I know I ovulate. So that is not my problem. My weight does make me a higher risk if I do get pregnant. I still think it's possible though even if you are a larger person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only thing fat cells do is potentially contribute to an excess of estrogen. Which the drugs balance out anyway. NO worries!

    But I SO hear you on the "what if's." Ultimate;y, it's up to chance, however, and not the extra helping of someone's yummy veggie lasagna. ;)

    ReplyDelete