Monday, May 4, 2009

Badonkadonk

Just so I have something to worry about, I am now obsessing about whether my PIO shots are effective.

See, I have love handles. Badonkadonk. Right on the upper outer quadrant of my buttocks. Right where they claim a 1.5" needle will make it through to my gluteus medius. And last night I did my first PIO shot (or rather my roommate did, with surprising skill) - using an 18 gauge needle, mind you, which is effing HUGE - and I didn't feel a thing. Not during, not after. She said it felt like putting the needle into butter that's been out of the refrigerator for several hours. No resistance at all.

The nurse swears it doesn't matter, and they do not recommend giving PIO in the thigh. But honestly, it is freaking me out. I do not want my embies not to implant simply because my ass is too big.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate this whole process?

7 comments:

  1. I had the same freak out when doing the HCG trigger - it didn't hurt. But I think the not-hurting thing is how skillfully the shot is done. Like if it was fast or not. If you are really worried, you can ask for progesterone suppositories, and do both the injections and suppositories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{Hugs}}] and it is ABSOLUTELY fine to give PIO in the thigh. It is suppose to be an Intramuscular drug and, if you are worried, give them there...check out this link and this link. I use to be a paramedic so I know about giving shots. Don't let your nurse bully you into something you don't feel right about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's fine to go into the "upper ass" - or thigh. Any muscle you feel confident going into. And to find the "upper ass sweet spot?" If you ever wear jeans, that spot where the back pocket has an upper seam, or rivet? That's the sweet spot....

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who has plenty of badonkadonk and who has done PIO I understand what you are saying. I started out doing the shots in my outer thigh kind of on the side of my leg. The docs office stated it was ok. But it hurt like hell. My leg muscle would be stiff for days afterwards. So I started doing it on the upper part of butt and very little pain. however I used like a 25g needle. Yikes on the 18!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Have I mentioned lately that I hate this whole process?"
    Funny, I wrote almost these exact same words a day or two ago on my own blog, though it wasn't about PIO. No experience with that. Yet. But I did want to wish you good luck on all things IVF-related...I'm pulling for you!
    (I've been "blessed" with badonkadonk too. Hate it.)
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I just learned a new word: Badonkadonk. I'm going to use that word today if it's the last thing I do.

    ReplyDelete